Sunday, July 01, 2007

Canada Day Paddle

A bright and sunny Canada Day morning greeted us as we put in at Willows Beach for a paddle out to the Chain Islands.
IMGP0754

It was Tracy, Paula, Louise, Bernie and myself today. We enjoyed our paddle through the Chain Islands on the way to Discovery Island last week that we decided to visit the Chain Islands again and putter around all the islets.
IMGP4380

The ladies set the pace....
IMGP0761

...while Bernie and I lagged behind...
IMGP0763

...and behind us, this ferry boat crossed our wake. None of us have ever heard of this ferry, the Victoria Express, and we were a bit surprised that it came this close to the shore. And look at the wake it's kicking up! Good thing that it's behind us and we don't have to cross it!
IMGP0762

Oh wait, it's heading towards us! Bernie and I had two different reactions. He decided to try and outrun it (and maybe even surf it), while I decided to face it and ride it out. I don't think either of us had faced a wave this high before.
Paddle, Bernie! It's Gaining!

Here it comes!
IMGP4404

Needless to say, we survived. In fact, my boat rode the waves so well that I didn't even get a drop of water on my deck. By the time it got to Louise, Paula and Tracy, the wake wave had become a lot less threatening. Soon we were in the Chains.
IMGP4446
IMGP4462
IMGP4480

The eagles didn't seem to be around today like they were last week, and I guess the seagulls were happy about that.
IMGP0767

But there was still the occasional eagle watching our little party exploring.
IMGP4439
Eagle

Bernie headed up a little channel and found something interesting...
Gather round, Bernie's Found Something

... a sea cucumber.
What Bernie Found

And, too soon, it was time to head back.
Contrails

John's photos are here.

2 comments:

  1. Well,John, it was a nice bit of wake, and yes, I was hoping to surf it, but it was by no means the biggest wave I've ever paddled. Remember Sombrio Beach? Much bigger, much heavier, and I was sorely unequipped (no PFD that day). And this one petered out much more quickly, becoming some nice swells. But still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I should have said the biggest wave we've faced on the open ocean. But yep, it was fun! :)

    ReplyDelete