Sunday, September 16, 2007

Thetis Lake Raw Bacon Practice Extravaganza

Well, where to start.
The idea was to have a practice session as Paula wanted to try getting in and out of her new boat, and I wanted more self-rescue practice to try a few new rescue techniques out, and to practice some new assisted rescues that Bernie had learned. We were also going to enjoy our new tradition of cooking breakfast on the beach before heading into the water.
As it turned out, it was just Louise, Paula and myself today. As for breakfast, Bernie decided to do an over-nighter on Portland Island. Why he felt he needed all three stoves for a two-day trip is something that is puzzling. One thing for sure - my breakfast of raw bacon was sure yummy.
Louise was suffering from contact lens trouble and had forgotten her paddle jacket, so she ended up not paddling.
But Paula and I were still keen to practice, so already wet from the rainy day, and hungry from no breakfast we set out.
IMGP1228

Paula steeled herself.....
IMGP1229

...and in she went!
IMGP1230

Oh, yeah. We're having fun now.
IMGP1231

We tried a couple of rescues. First, I helped Paula in an assisted rescue, then Paula did a solo paddle float rescue.
IMGP1234

She had a wee bit of trouble figuring out how to get in...
IMGP1235

...as her new kayak has a smaller cockpit than her old one.
IMGP1236

But she did it! Then I took a couple of turns getting dunked and did a couple of solo paddle float rescues.
IMGP1237

Enough playing in the water... time to get warm!
IMGP1232

John's pictures are here.

8 comments:

  1. I am full of admiration. Since I was minus wetsuit and plus head-cold, I stayed at home, watched the rain, and wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should have stayed home... now I have a cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must say, John, terrific pictures! Catching the splash, and then the shot of Paula re-surfacing, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is the guy with the camera always positioned perfectly to get a shot that displays the paddler's butt?
    *sigh*
    Still, I love this new boat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi kayakyak;
    I was intrigued to see that closed-cell foam paddle floats are still in use out your way. Here in New England, most use inflatable paddle floats for their ease of storage.

    For what it's worth, a paddle float is excellent to use to try a re-entry and roll. You get so much leverage from the float you don't really need to know how to roll to right your boat.

    Adam Bolonsky
    paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adam
    Thanks for reading!
    Both inflatable and foam paddle floats are available and used out here on the We(s)t Coast, but foam paddle float are recommeded here because you spend less time exposed to the very cold Pacific Ocean as they do not need to be inflated.
    But I have one of each, and I'm sure that I get more buoancy with the inflatable float.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inflatable paddle floats might have more lift. But I can't imagine floating up to my chin in rough water, trying to inflate my float.
    If I ever am equipped only with the inflatable version, my plan is to puff it up and clip it to the deck bungees before launching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As for a re-entry and roll assisted with a paddle float, Adam, Doug Alderson discusses how to do that in his new book, Sea Kayak Strokes from Rocky Mountain Books.
    Alderson also makes a little practise float to use when he's teaching beginners to brace, wet exit and even roll. The little float is two sheets of closed-cell foam, strapped together with electrician's tape or hockey tape.

    ReplyDelete