Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Linkapalooza

-- Fear the Cyclops shark! Fear it!

-- Sometimes your adventure just doesn't go as planned. Form the Globe and Mail, here's the story of a fellow who embarks on his dream kayaking expedition, a three-week solo paddle down the West Coast of Vancouver Island. Unfortunately, his dream trip lasted just over an hour. Click here to check it out....and here to read his follow-up story.

-- There's a line from an old Rush song: "Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it." When I had my bicycle accident almost five years ago, I was heart-broken thinking that I may have to give up this wonderful sport that I'd only just discovered. Luckily for me I was able to continue, but what would it be like to suffer an accident that caused your kayaking skills to quickly wane over a summer?

-- Ever wonder how fish communicate with each other? Turns out it might be by farting.
No, really.
According to an article from NatGeo, "This intriguing idea comes from scientists who discovered that herring create a mysterious underwater noise by farting. Researchers suspect herring hear the bubbles as they’re expelled, helping the fish form protective shoals at night. It’s the first ever study to suggest fish communicate by breaking wind."

-- The Hurricane Riders were riding their kayaks on the Skook recently. Check out their latest video below:


-- The Dash Point Pirate has an interview with Phoxx Ecks who earlier this year spent a month kayaking the northern coast of Vancouver Island with a skin-on-frame kayak, and no gear -- no tent, no sleeping bag, no PFD, and no food or water either -- on a "primitive expedition." Here's the trailer for the interview:


-- And this clip? Well, this is just plain cool:


1 comment:

  1. Great links, John!
    Makes ya think. No wonder we haven't gone to Skookumchuck yet... our paddle group needs one of those kick-ass names like The Hurricane Riders or Tsunami Rangers.
    The thought of losing physical abilities is never fun. Must get out the big boat this weekend, keep up the strengthening skills...
    The daredevil who paddled around the north end of the island in a traditional kayak without camping gear *really* went commando. Man, I am never again going to feel like I'm travelling light when I pop out into the bay in my shortie wetsuit and a full set of safety gear in my little rec kayak.
    About the whale/kayaker photo, just saying once again that though it's awe-inspiring to get close up and personal with whales, we gotta remember that it's very hard to do so without getting in their way. Sailboaters call kayaks "speedbumps" for a reason. Keeping 100 metres minimum away from a whale is not only a good idea, it's the law. Think about protecting the whale, eh? The only time I've been kayaking close to a whale, I was sitting on top of a wet rock in my AdvancedElements inflatable. Close but out of its way.
    and by the way, that blinky shark is creepy.

    ReplyDelete