Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Camera I - Random Stuff

I've decided that I should inflect upon the readers of this blog show off more of my off-water photographs on the blog. And what better time to start then the slow kayaking off-season. So as the rain and wind swoop around our house, take a gander at this and see if it doesn't warm your heart.

IMG_5530
Long-time readers will recognize this as Parker, one of our three cats. A few days ago, he was sitting on a chair in the living room, caught perfectly by the cloudy light coming in through the living room window. I told him to stay while I grabbed my camera out of the office, and he actually did, sitting patiently for my return. Parker seems to sense something about cameras, and he will pose for you, tilting his head, lifting his chin, making subtle adjustments to his posture while we snap away. He must spend his time watching the fashion programs on tv when we are out of the house.

Over Christmas, I picked up a used Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens from eBay. Oh my, I love this lens. I haven't had many chances to use it yet, but we did take out to Esquimalt Lagoon for a couple of hours, resulting in this photograph.
IMG_5822 copy
It was one of those situations when you're just sort of snapping madly around at something. The duck took off, and I just kept panning with it. I wasn't close to being centered on it, so I cropped it so that it was in the corner, rule of thirds and all that, and it seemed to work best in black & white.

I've joined a weekly photo challenge group on flickr. The first week's challenge was "Sillouhettes" and here's mine.
IMG_6070
And no, it's no a Dalek, as one comment suggested. It's really the giant watering can at Beacon Hill Park.
IMG_6083

One last one. Louise and I spent some time Christmas Eve hanging around the BC Legislature taking pictures of The Ledge done up in Christmas lights. I'll save most of those for next Christmas. (Foreshadowing: your clue to quality blogging.) But here's one to keep you going until then. It's from behind The Ledge, through a portico, and out towards the lighted tree on the front lawn.
IMG_5637
Pretty impressive shot, I think. Almost as impressive as the fact that I used the word "portico" in a sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment