We at Kayak Yak have had a press release forwarded to us from the Capital Regional District, the Gorge Waterway Initiative, and the Victoria Golden Rods and Reel Society.
Mark your calendars for the evening of Thursday October 29! Paddlers of all kinds who use local lakes will be interested in this upcoming free public forum on the health and future of Elk/Beaver Lake. Details below:
UVic ENVIRONMENTAL LAW CENTRE and VICTORIA GOLDEN RODS & REELS SOCIETY Present a Public Forum:
Elk/Beaver Lake “A Tale of Two Lakes”— Can aging lakes be rejuvenated?
Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, 7 pm – 9 pm Law Lecture Theatre 159, Fraser Building, University of Victoria
- Dr. Rick Nordin, BC Lake Stewardship Society: What’s Going On Inside Elk/Beaver Lake?
- Erin Gray, JD, Articled Student, Environmental Law Centre: Best Case Practices in Lakes Management
- Michelle Hawryluk, BSc. ES, BC Ministry of Environment: Progress Report on Remediation Options
|Here's a map of the UVic campus with the Fraser building marked in red.|
What will the evening look like?
1/ people encouraged to park in Parking Lot 8 from 6pm when the evening rate of $2.50 starts.
( Carpool, friends! Or take any of several buses to UVic. There's a bike rack at the building.)
2/ people visit at the stakeholders booths from 6pm to 7pm
3/ from 7pm to 9pm there are three speakers and question and answer periods.
The following organizations have confirmed their booth spaces to date:
- Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
- Habitat Acquisition Trust
- Camosun College Environmental Technology Program
- Peninsula Streams Society
- Victoria Rowing Society
- Victoria Golden Rods and Reels Society
- Gorge Waterway Initiative
Reminder: The CRD Regional Parks Committee has included Elk/Beaver Lake as a strategic priority in its Service Plan for 2016-2019.
Subject to CRD Board approval, a half time co-ordinator for Elk/ Beaver Lake remediation will be included in the Service Plan for 2016 to 2019 renewable annually. The Committee also voted to purchase a new weed harvester.
Dr. Rick Nordin’s June 2015 water quality report can be accessed through this link and is hosted at the Gorge Waterway Initiative website.
If you have any questions please contact either of the names below. Your assistance in helping to publicize this event is greatly appreciated.
Co-chair, Elk/Beaver Lake Initiative, Victoria Golden Rods & Reels SocietyPhone 250-598-3294
Gorge Waterway initiative Coordinator